I honestly cannot believe how fast this past year has gone! It seems like only yesterday the world nearly ended in December 2012. I hope you all enjoyed your new years celebrations, whatever you did and aren’t too hungover today!
Thank you all for the support since starting my blog early 2013. It started as a small hobby – something I just dabbled around with when I was bored and in all honesty, I thought I would lose interest and give up after a month or so. That obviously wasn’t the case and I can’t believe how far my blog has come since then! I had no idea the book blogging world was so big – and so well hidden. It’s like a whole other world that I never expected to become a part of but I have and I’m so glad I got here. I’ve met some wonderful bloggers and authors throughout 2013 and not to mention read some incredible books – ones I probably wouldn’t have come across if it wasn’t for blogging. I’ve started writing for magazines – something I never thought I’d end up doing – am an editor and am hopefully on the road to turning this hobby into job. And I couldn’t have done it without all of you. So raise your glasses to yourself because you’re all amazing.
Now for the obligatory part. I’ve not made resolutions as such, just aims and goals that I hope to stick to in the new years to hopefully make my blog better, gain a bigger following, read more books and expand in general.
1. Try and read 1 “classic” book a month: So everyone always goes on about how you should read all the classics and truth be told I want to, but last year I was so caught up in the new excitement of blogging and trying to read all the new releases. This year I was to try and read 1 classic book a month, some of them on my list are: The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald, Great Expectations – Charles Dickens and To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee.
2. Post more regularly: In an ideal world, I think everyone would do this but obviously life gets in the way sometimes and it’s hard to keep it up. With such a small niche, it’s hard to post regularly (once or twice a week) and it would also mean i’d have to read like, 3 books a week which just isn’t do-able due to other life commintments. I hope to try and post a bit more regularly than I do now, so at least once every 2 weeks and include more film reviews, guest posts and other features!
3. Work harder: I definitely feel like I’m slacking a bit at the moment. Which is probably due to Christmas/New Year but once I start to get back on track, I want to try and work a lot harder on my blog. Read faster, write more reviews, take part in more blog tours/cover reveals etc. I also now have the oppourtunity to earn some money for some of my reviews so that should be motivation alone to work harder.
4. Be more organized: When I first started my blog I just kinda went with the flow, posted a review every now and again and wasn’t too bothered when my next one was going to be but as it’s grown more and I have a lot more responsibility now what with First Instinct and Loveahappyending than I did at the beginning I think it’s important I start getting myself organized. I bought a day planner today so I can plan posts!
5. Communicate more: By communicate I mean read other peoples blogs, post more comments and have more conversations about books, blogging and the things that interest us as a community. We’re all here for the same reason so there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be chat chat chatting away!
What are your goals for the new year? Personal or otherwise? Let me know! I wish you all a very happy, healthy and successful new year and my blog will be back up and running on January 6th with some new reviews that I hope you’ll enjoy!