Getting together with friends or family for whatever reason is always fun. Even just hanging out at home, playing board games or watching the latest football match or Formula 1 race and I find food can play a huge role in bringing people together, breaking the ice, having something to mingle over and talk about. My boyfriend and I often hang out with another couple and have games nights and we share the responsibility of food. The first time, I made loads of food and put on a spread. The second time, they ordered us all pizza. The third time, I made them some chocolates truffles and the time after that, they brought round an array of fresh fruit as it was the middle of summer.
I love food and find that food just enhances life ten-fold and for that reason, I adore trying new recipes. Granted, not all of them are amazing and not all of them are extensive meals that take all day to cook. Like the dish I’m sharing with you today! It took half an hour in the oven, was quick, easy, contained ingredients you can pick up anywhere (cheaply too!) and would be the perfect treat to share with family and friends during a chilled night in. You can also mix these up in case anyone is vegetarian. I present to you, cheesy hot dog sliders! They don’t look pretty and they most certainly aren’t healthy but we all need a dirty treat every now and again, don’t we?
What you’ll need: hot dog rolls, hot dogs (it really doesn’t matter how many of each, you just need 1 or 2 hot dogs for each roll), 1 or 2 onions, American mustard, ketchup and grated cheese of your choice (I went for Red Leicester because it’s my favourite!), 3 – 4 teaspoons of butter to melt
Preparation: pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees, line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper or tin-foil
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1. Cut the onions up into small / medium slices and fry in a pan over a medium heat until browned
2. In the meantime, melt the butter and cut all the hot dog rolls horizontally (so it’s like a burger bun), placing the top halves to one side. Glaze the outside of the bottom halves with half the melted butter then place them butter side down on my baking tray.
3. Remove the onions from the pan and place them evenly over each roll.
4. Then add 1 or 2 hot dogs to each roll.
5. Then add as much grated cheese as you like!
6. Add the ketchup and the mustard and put the tops of the rolls on top.
7. Glaze the top of the rolls with the remaining butter, place a sheet of tin foil over the top and place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
8. Remove and enjoy!