Well-Being & Self Care

Ways To Help a Friend Through Difficult Times

TW: Abuse, assault, rape

AD | If we’re not going through a difficult time ourselves, we probably know someone that is. Unfortunately, that’s life. And it’s not always Peggy Porschen’s and trips to Disney World. I like to be as real as possible on this blog. I just can’t bare the false positivity that some people omit so much online. But online is an amazing platform to talk about the nitty gritty, including ways to help a friend through difficult times.

Ways to Help a Friend Through Difficult Times

If a friend or family member is going through a tough time for whatever reason, it’s so important to know how to help them in a safe, effective and sensitive way. If someone decided that booking me in to do a sky dive would help my severe anxiety, then I’d probably throw up over them.

Of course it depends on the situation and your relationship but today we’re going to talk about ways to help a friend through difficult times and a range of different situations they might find themselves in. I also took to Twitter, to find out what other people thought was the best way a friend can help you and you can find that thread here!

Mental illness

This is something I can definitely relate to on the “friend” side of the coin. When I was diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder which ruined my life, my “friends” left me. Every last one of them. Nobody sympathized. Or asked me how I was doing. Or even invited me anywhere anymore. As soon as I stopped being able to go anywhere because my crippling anxiety didn’t let me leave my bed let alone my house, they gave up on me.

Not trying to get your sympathy or anything here, just explaining how much I really do understand what it’s like to be the “friend” that doesn’t get the support they so desperately needed. So if you have a friend with mental illness, you can support them by:

• Make an effort to learn how their condition affects them e.g. do they isolate themselves sometimes when it’s bad? Or get angrier?
  • Offer to do something for them you know they might be having trouble with. But be specific. Asking if someone wants any help in a general term could overwhelm them even more and they’ll end up saying no. So ask if they want you to pick up some milk from the shop if they’re running low or post something for them.
  • Just be a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen. Sometimes people don’t need answers, they just need someone who’ll listen to them without judgement and know there’s someone on the end of the phone.

Physical illness

This is one I don’t have much experience of personally but I had a lot of great responses on Twitter about how to support a friend who has a physical illness – either chronic or temporary.

• Do something practical for them if they’re struggling with energy or physical symptoms – such as clean a room in their house.
  • Don’t question their illness and experiences, be judgmental or make comment such as “I could never live like that”. Because some people don’t have a choice.
  • Make them a care package of things that might come in handy at that time or simply something that’ll make them smile. Fluffy socks, tea, a book, a candle, a notebook, their favourite film or something along those lines!
  • Be careful of your words and understand what your friend reacts to.

Related: Simple Tips for Friends/Family When Supporting Someone Diagnosed With Cancer – The (Other) C Word

Relationship problems

Something I think we can all relate to at some point or another! Relationships are haaaard and they’re a common result of an upset friend. So here we’re talking break-ups, cheating bastards and fuck boys.

• Again, be a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen to but also try and refrain from judgement. Your friends choice of partner is something you’ll likely have an opinion on. But airing that opinion in a “told you so!” kinda way isn’t going to help.
  • Take them away from the situation. Plan something nice for you both to do together which has no relevance to the relationship that’s causing them pain.

Help a friend claim compensation for abuse and assault

Nobody wants their friend to go through something as traumatic as this – obviously. But sadly, a lot of us will know of someone that has. Making sure your friend knows you’re there to listen to them and support them when needed is so important, as well as not bringing anything up which might trigger them.

There are also companies like CICA Claims UK who specialize in claim compensation or abuse and assault throughout the UK on behalf of clients who are victims of crime. They handle their cases as sensitively as possible, so clients experience as little trauma as possible throughout the process. Other things you can do are:

• Don’t ever report anything without their consent
  • Don’t pester them about reporting it – it’s their choice and it’s something they have to do when the time is right for them, not you
  • Withhold your own emotions: Of course you’ll be angry and upset about what’s happened but it isn’t about you.

Do you have anything to add to any of these? What’s the best way a friend has helped you through a difficult time in your life?

Ways To Help a Friend Through Difficult Times

* This is a sponsored post

1. Misa says:

Great post, and I understand being abandoned by friends. After H’s stroke so many people told me I just needed to ask and they’d help, but whenever I asked, excuses were found. It was hurtful and maddening.

So I think I would add only offering help if one can actually be there. Or at least let your friend know when you are and aren’t available.

1. I just feel like you shouldn’t HAVE to continuously ask for help from family and friends. If they know you’re going through something so traumatic.

2. Support from friends and family is so so key and I did not know this until recent events! Such a helpful and enlightening post!
    Rosie

1. It’s something you don’t really realise until it happens! (or doesn’t happen in my case)

3. This is a great post. I’m the kind of person who always wants to help but never knows what to say x

Sophie

1. I’m often the same. I’ve always been the person to crack the jokes but sometimes that’s really not appropriate.

4. Thank you for this post. I think a lot of the time people are willing to help but do not know where to start. This post is really helpful.

1. Very true.

5. These tips are honestly absolutely amazing!

Love, Amie ❤

The Curvaceous Vegan

1. Thank you

6. These tips are amazing and definitely need to be heard by others. I try to do my best when I see friends who are struggling but I also have to be mindful of my own health. I wouldn’t be able to help if I get triggered first!

7. Thank you for these tips – I can definitely relate to the mental health ones from my partner struggling so much with them and also the physical health ones. Sometimes all it takes is just having someone to listen, and that will make the world of difference when someone is not at full health.

1. Absolutely agree. Sometimes the super small things – like being offered a cup of tea – really do make all the difference.

8. Sarah says:

Some really great tips! Sorry you had to experience it first hand though 🙁 xx

1. Thank you!

9. A post we all needed to read, to help others but also to identify ourselves in this. When I became housebound for mobility issues in 2009 I experienced the same, all my friends just forgot about me. Now I’m back out and about they suddenly interested again.

1. Typical isn’t it?

1. It is xx

10. This blog post really touched my heart and I can’t thank you enough for sharing your thoughts. I’m sending you all of my love 💜

With love, Alisha Valerie x | http://www.alishavalerie.com

1. Thank you

11. I’ve experienced all except one of these first hand as the person going through it. The other one was a close friend, so I am all too familiar with all of these.

I don’t have any friends that come visit me or offer to do anything and I haven’t done since I became housebound etc over 8 years ago.

It does make you realise your true friends – if you even have any – I know I did not.

This post is great though for someone who isn’t quite sure what they can do to support a friend, no matter what they are going through. 🙂

Sarah 🌺 || Boxnip || Latest Post

1. I definitely learnt that my friends weren’t my friends after my anxiety diagnosis too.

12. Stryde says:

Great post on a sensitive topic. I think you’re becoming my favorite blogger

1. Thanks very much!

13. Macey Gloria says:

I’ve got/had friends and family who have suffered from all of the above of these situations, and this post is definitely so helpful to those who need to understand the best way they can utilise themselves as a help & comfort to their friends/family. It’s so unfortunate that life is like this, but it’s wonderful to either have someone there for you or to be that someone to another person! x

twinklexthoughts.blogspot.com

1. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had friends go through this stuff x

14. Jack Bransson says:

Nowadays people can only about themselves but I’m there are some people and “friends” who care because I do care about others and I look at every aspect(including mental illness) when helping a friend. Amazing post!

1. I think more people care than we sometimes realise! Thank you.

15. arun says:

Thank you so much. I have physical and mental illness. Also I have been assaulted. I have friends who try to understand. I would love to share it with my friends..

1. Share it!

16. Mandi Schneck says:

Great tips! I think just like in romantic relationships, learning someone’s love language is important in helping them through tough times. You might think that hugs, etc. help because touch is your love language, but really they prefer something else, like verbal reassurance or actions.

1. Absolutely – and not everyone likes contact or contact at certain times. When I’m really anxious, I can’t stand people touching me!

17. I can totally relate with you on the mental illness point. I don’t really have many people around me anymore and people definitely seemed to drift away around the time my anxiety really started, a time when we probably need them most! These are all such good tips, sometimes the most simple things can make such a difference to someone xx

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

1. These are all great tips! Definitely think the main thing with both mental and physical illness is to know how they’re affected and what symptoms they’re experiencing

2. Wow our situations sound eerily similar!

18. Roxie Watt says:

I try to be there as much as possible for my friends, however, this is nearly never returned. I don’t think they really understand how my anxiety can effect my daily life. A little effort goes a long way.

1. It sure does. I’m sorry to hear you don’t feel like the support is mutual. I’m sure a lot of people feel that way.

2. I’m sorry to hear you don’t feel like the support is mutual. I’m sure a lot of people feel that way.

19. The my friends have been though difficult times, I’ve made mini self-care hampers for them x

1. That’s a good idea!

20. Good support is always important, and I thought that this would be obvious to so many people. It’s sad to hear that some just leave their “friends” behind when times get tough. I find your list of little steps/ways helpful and will pass it on ♥

1. I’ve experienced that first hand and it certainly happens. It’s awful.

21. Boss Babe Chronicles says:

Good support from friends and family is so important. I think the best way to support a friend is to let them know that you are there for them whenever they need you.

1. It’s the simplest thing but often the most important!

22. Menna Rachel says:

These are really good tips! I think with anything the best thing to do is let someone know that you’re there if you need them! x

1. Absolutely – it’s sometimes the simplest things

23. Absolutely love this post! So well written. Good support is so vital xx

1. Thanks so much!

24. yellowbricksofhope says:

This was great! Thank you <3

1. You’re welcome.

25. As I have an invisible disability, I’m very fortunate that I have such amazing friends who are understanding and will do anything for me, as I will for them. They know that my illness isn’t easy for me to live with and they are so supportive and cheer for me when I achieve something good and console me when things get tough xx

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

1. That’s amazing to hear!