Other

How To Date Virtually During Lockdown

AD – This is a paid advertorial but all thoughts are my own

Last month I wrote a blog post about at home date ideas for couple who are stuck in lockdown together but of course that’s not the reality for everyone during this weird, stressful and scary time. Sadly, some people are away from their partners right now – I know a lot of my online friends are – and they have had to adapt to this weird, virtual dating world that none of us are really used to.

Photo byย Georgia de Lotzย onย Unsplash

Of course online dating is bigger than ever. We’re not new to meeting people online, engaging with people online and ultimately, finding relationships online. And there are so many different types of dating sites and apps these days, those that are based on location, such as this Edinburgh dating site. Or preference, such as Mature Edinburgh Dating.

But once you’re IN that relationship… well, you don’t imagine your love life is going to be halted by a global pandemic.

Alas, here we are. In the middle of a global pandemic. And a lot of people have found themselves in lockdown away from their partners during this time. In a time where it’s more important than ever to stay connected to loved ones, here are some ways you can virtually date and keep your relationship alive during lockdown:

Stay connected

As I just said, the first and most important thing right now is to stay connected. Not just for romantic relationships – but all relationships and friendships. Not only will it help you combat loneliness if you’re alone during this time but it’ll also help with your mental health. We need each other right now so if you can’t be there physically, be there virtually.

Have dinner together over Skype or video chat

Has anyone watched season 3 of Atypical? When they’re having the dinner party and Paige is there virtually, through a tablet? Well that’s what I’m thinking when I say this. Agree on a day and time – even a specific type of cuisine if you want – and have a virtual dinner date over video chat!

Make plans for when this is over

It’s really important to have things to look forward to right now, especially when everything is looking pretty bleak. So now would be a great time to make some plans together of things to look forward to when all this is over. Holidays you want to go on together and day trips you want to make. It’ll give you both something to look forward to, when those dark times hit.

Have a movie night together

I haven’t personally tried it myself but I’ve heard Netflix are doing this cool virtual link up thing where you can watch things at the same time as your friends? Either that or just choose a movie to watch at the same time together. Although you can’t see each other, knowing you’re both doing the same thing might help ease the loneliness.

Game together

If both of you have gaming consoles and have the same games, now would be a great time to game together and show each other who’s boss! Gaming is a great way to take your mind off of things and have a bit of fun – even better when you’re up against your boyfriend or girlfriend!

Go for a virtual walk together

So here in the UK, provided we’re not in self isolation and we’re not symptomatic, we’re allowed out of the house once a day for exercise. Most people have been enjoying going for walks – especially in nature, which has a calming quality about it anyway. Why not arrange a time for you to both go on your daily walk and do it together? Stay on face-time or on the phone and go on a virtual walk together.

Bake together

Similarly to having a meal and going for a walk together, if you’re both into baking, you can choose a time and a dish to both bake in your respective homes and go onto Skype or face time and bake together! It’ll give you a chance to do a relaxing activity as well as some time to have a chat together.

Here are just a few ways that you and your partner can have a fun, virtual date during this time in lockdown. Do you have any other suggestions to add to this list? How have you and your partner been keeping connected if you’re away from each other right now? Let me know!

Advertisements

1. Thatโ€™s cool about watching things together on netflix even when not in the same houses! xx

1. It’s a really cool thing to be able to do!

2. I followed your Instagram @blacksheep.blog โœจ love your post ๐Ÿฆ‹

1. Thank you x

3. Kayleigh Zara says:

These are some actually adorable ideas! The Skype idea is so cute. I’ve got plans for seeing my significant other when the isolation period is over x

1. So sorry you’re not with them during this time x

4. Heather Nixon says:

Dinner over Skype is a great idea x

5. This is such a sweet idea, especially with friends too!

Love, Amie โค

The Curvaceous Vegan

1. Thank you – yes it could definitely work with friends!

6. I’m loving coming across all these really interesting date ideas in the lockdown! People are getting so creative. Gaming is a great one, and we’re hoping to have a nice candlelit dinner and movie night over the Easter weekend.

1. They really are! It’s lovely to see! Awh that sounds so cute x

7. Youโ€™ve detailed some really great ways of staying connected with loved ones during all of this.

8. Emily Birks says:

My boyfriend and I have been facetiming most days and playing animal crossing and watching films together, which I think is really helping. It’s such a strange time to be in a relationship, without seeing your other half! x

Em | http://www.emilyjanebirks.co.uk

1. I’m sure it is! I can’t imagine how you do it – really, hats off to anyone who’s managing a relationship when you’re not physically together during this time!

9. aimsysantics says:

These are great ideas; and I guess like you said, can be used with friends and family as well. Its a very strange world at the moment that is taking some adjusting to; technology is brilliant though for keeping us all connected!

Thanks for sharing!

Aimsy xoxo
    Aimsyโ€™s Antics

1. Technology really is saving lives at the moment!

10. katy gilroy says:

aw some fab ideas here! it’s a weird time isn’t it x

1. It sure is x

11. This is cute, I suppose a lot would apply to friends too xx

1. Yeah definitely x

12. Iโ€™m not dating right now, but I love these tips. A movie night would be such a cute idea to do if you are dating.

Al x

1. You could absolutely do all of these with friends or family too ๐Ÿ™‚

13. This is such a helpful post! I’m currently single AF and this pandemic certainly isn’t helping that… I’ll have to give some of these ideas a go! x

Becca // becc4 blog

1. Hahaha I can’t imagine it is helping but HEY at least you have all this time for yourself and only yourself!

14. I work in online dating and there are more people than ever depending on online chatting, messaging and connecting! Such a helpful post!
    Rosie

1. Wow I bet you have such a unique insight into how things are in the dating world at the moment!

15. What great ideas!

The Netflix thing sounds great! And having dinner together over Skype would be awesome!

It can work if you make it work right? ๐Ÿ˜Š

Love Lozza xo

1. It absolutely can ๐Ÿ™‚ I can imagine it’s so hard and will really test relationships during this time!

16. Sadly lockdown lead to a breakup for me haha (im not dwelling on it though) but these are all such good ideas, and i do feel for couples who cant be in lockdown together!

1. Oh babe I’m so sorry to hear that. Hope you’re doing okay x

17. My boyfriend and I have been doing a long distance relationship since I went to uni, but the lockdown has made it even harder for us! These are some great ideas that we’ll definitely be trying x

Roni ๐Ÿ–ค
    myelevatedexistence.com

1. At least you have some experience!

18. I’m casually talking to people I match with on Hinge so I’m in a but big a weird place where I obviously can’t go out and meet them in public just yet. I get the impression that these dating ideas are pretty good and for anyone already in a relationship but maybe doesnt work as well as ideas for a first date with someone you’ve met online? Thanks for sharing though, enjoying reading it and getting a but more inspiration and motivation to think of some. Stay safe and stay sane ๐Ÿ™‚

Johnny | Johnny’s Traventures

1. Maybe not. But staying connected is always important.

19. Great ideas! These can be used for keeping in touch with friends too. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Absolutely! These would make really cute friend dates too!

20. Jess Barker says:

Oh I love this, such cute ideas! I’m lucky enough to be on lockdown with my partner but I may share this to my friends that aren’t to help them not lose hope ๐Ÿ™‚

Jess | jessinwonderland.com xx

1. Please do! I hope it helps them ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Great post pet! I am self isolating with my partner in our home – I understand why ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ is a thing now [LOL]. We’re stuck for indoor date ideas at the moment but we’ve been playing card games most nights.
    Stay safe! x

1. Carl and I need to start paying card games again! Though he’s a magician so he’s probably sick of the sight of cards by now!

22. Love these ideas! The virtual baking session sounds fun!

1. Right! I live with my partner but I’d love to try that anyway!

23. I think some of these are lovely ideas and although I donโ€™t have a partner to do these with I do have my friends and I think it definitely a great way to stay connected during trying times like these.

1. They could absolutely be used for friends too ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Sarah Eliza says:

This actually sounds quite cute! While I find online dating awkward even without the face to face, this could be very interesting haha ๐Ÿ™‚
    Sarah x

1. I mean, they’d definitely help you get to know someone!

25. Love this! I’m lucky enough to have my husband around (But he is military and often away) but when he does go away I will definitely be using some of these ideas!

1. Ah well at least you have some experience of being apart!