Personal Growth

6 Screen Time Activities For Personal Growth

Affiliate links | We’re told time and time again that we need to get away from our screens, get off of social media and spend more time in the “real” world. Heck, just this month I spoke about why you should have a digital detox! But if the COVID situation has taught us anything, it’s the importance that technology and screens have in our lives. Despite the fact my screen time app on my iPhone shouts at me every week for the amount of time I’ve spent staring at my phone, today I want to talk about screen time activities for personal growth.

Activities For Personal Growth

Photo by Tanya Trukyr on Unsplash

But let’s be sensible here, I think we all know our limits when it comes to screen usage. I can definitely feel it in my eyes when I’ve been on a screen for too long and not necessarily realised it. When I get carried away with work or binge watching my favourite show then all of a sudden it hits me that I have a banging headache, my eyes are dry AF and I haven’t moves my limbs in 8 hours.

But technology and online resources have given us so much. So, so much. You only need to look at 2020 so far to see the importance technology has on our lives. I’m sure it saved a lot of people from crippling loneliness in the midst of lockdown. So whilst yes, we need to know our limits and not go over-board with the screen usage, it’s also a great tool to use for activities for personal growth.

And I think now is a great time to focus on our personal growth and self development. We’ve all been through a lot this year – a lot that’s probably going to change us going forward, whether we want it to or not. So it’s definitely a good time to work on those things we want to change, expand on those things we already have and commit to learning more about ourselves than ever before.

If you’re ready to work on yourself and want to use technology, apps and the internet to do that, here are 6 screen time activities for personal growth for you to look into!

Personal Growth

Photo by Tanya Trukyr on Unsplash

Do an online course

The courses themselves certainly don’t have to be about personal growth but just the very act of expanding your knowledge and being willing and open to learn something new is a great activity for personal growth. And the great thing is, is there’s so many possibilities out there and options for courses, depending on what you’re after.

If you’re looking to expand on your blogging knowledge, a course like Pinterest With Ell might be for you. After something to tend to your spiritual side? I’d highly recommend Abundane Acdaemy! If you’re after something a bit more academic, Coursera has a huge range of free courses.

Guided meditation & Yoga

If you’re absolutely sick to death of me harping on about Yoga and meditation, then feel free to skip this point (I won’t be offended… much) but if you can, hear me out. You can learn a lot about yourself when you strip it back to basics. When it’s just you and your breath. But if you’re not familiar with meditation or just don’t know where to start, a guided meditation is a great option. I personally love this meditation for self love.

And speaking of Yoga, Yoga is a great tool for personal growth. And the reason I put this on the list is because of the range of free Yoga videos you can find on YouTube. Which are incredible for the health of your mind, body and spirit. Here are 10 Yoga With Adriene practices I’d recommend and Yoga With Adriene practices for every mood.

Run your own workshop

This one fills me with dread thinking about it. That’s how I know it would be incredible for my personal growth. Online workshops, online courses, online anything have proved their worth and value, especially this year. So if you’re an expert in something or have the experience in something that could add value to others, you could consider running your own workshop.

This is a great activity for personal growth because it will allow you to step outside of your comfort zone (more on that in a minute), help you expand on your skills and connect with others – perhaps people you don’t even know – on a much deeper level.

Self Development

Develop a new and exciting project

This is a great way to really go ALL OUT with your personal growth. Throw yourself completely into something new and exciting. That’s completely yours. Something that you’ll have to work hard to build from scratch. Something that might fail… but that’s the point, isn’t it?

You’re never going to grow if you know everything you do will always turn out perfectly. Excuse me for acting like I’m giving a Ted Talk here but it’s true. The most exciting and scary thing for me lately was planning my own retreat. Yes, I know, not online (apart from the planning stage) but the point is, is I’ve never done anything like that before. I had NO IDEA how it was going to go (and ultimately didn’t end up going at all, thanks to COVID).

Step outside of your comfort zone

This was a big one for me last year in terms of my “real” life and I wrote about how I was stepping out of my comfort zone. But this is certainly something you can do online too. Take the last two points as an example. I’m sure for many of us, running an online workshop would feel a bit “fish out of water”. It certainly would for me!

But there are plenty of other ways you can step outside of your comfort zone online or using technology. Going live on Instagram for example, might be a walk in the park for some. For others, an anxiety-inducing nightmare! Or perhaps posting a different style of Instagram photo or writing about something new on your blog.

Listen to personal growth podcasts

Is this one cheating because you don’t TECHNICALLY have to look at a screen in order to listen to a podcast? I suppose you have to navigate a screen to get TO the podcast. So I’ll consider this one a valid point. Podcasts can be a great tool for personal growth. Another positive, is that they don’t have to take up a ton of time! You can listen to them whilst cooking, commuting, gardening or another every day task!

Check out this post about 6 motivational podcasts you should listen to from Boss Babe Chronicles, if you need some recommendations of podcasts!

How do you feel about using screen time activities for personal growth? Do you prefer to take your personal growth work off the screen? Or do you embrace all that technology has to offer us? Let me know!

1. Giulia says:

I’ve experienced a lot of personal growth by using technology. Blogging for instance, and social platforms like Goodreads and I’ve learned a ton too! I think there are definite pros to technology, and as long as we aware of the cons, I think it’s a great way to learn and grow.

1. Definitely a lot of pros to technology!

2. loverosiee1 says:

Love this post – my screentime over lockdown has become tooooo much!! I now restrict my hours on my phone during work days to give my brain a bit of a break!
    Rosie
    loverosiee.co.uk

3. These are such great ideas! Online courses are definitely a must and have helped me stay focused and productive! Guided meditation is the one thing I do daily that helps me stay calm and less anxious !

1. I need to do more guided meditations! Do you have any recommendations?

4. Fantastic ideas, Jenny. I love learning! I’m currently doing Spanish on Duolingo. I do wish I’d made more use of the lockdown and done some blogging courses. I used to always listen to a podcast on my morning commute which sadly is a habit I have never been able to get back into since I no longer have a commute x

Helen | http://www.whathelenloves.com

1. Ah that’s a shame. Hopefully you can find another time to listen to podcasts. I’ve tried Duolingo a number of times. I love the app but I don’t have the patience, sadly!

5. Sarah says:

I really want to do an online course in something but haven’t decided what! xx

1. Try Coursera, they have loads to choose from!

6. I personally really like using technology for personal growth. I have a ton of apps to help clear my mind, and lots that teach me more about the spiritual things I believe in. I also have bought a fair few courses – once I’ve got my mental health back to a healthy place and can concentrate properly again I’m going to be really diving deep into them! I love the idea of starting a project or course – I always feel I have nothing to offer people but I’m starting to think that letting myself believe that is really just holding myself back!

1. Sounds like you’re really in the right direction with this personal growth stuff! You definitely need to believe in yourself more!

7. Love this!

1. Thank you 🙂

8. Evie Jayne says:

Only courses having been a saviour during lockdown! I’ve also really been loving my early morning works, Yoga with Adriene, Cat Meffan, and Heather Robinson are my favourites! Great post x

Evie x | http://www.eviejayne.co.uk

1. Sounds perfect! Online courses are amazing x

9. These are some great tips. I’ve been doing some online courses and yoga too. Its great that there are so many resources available these days.

1. It really is. The resources are limitless!

10. Kayleigh Zara says:

I actually really enjoy listening to podcasts why I work so any on personal growth sound like an incredible idea if I’m honest! Thanks for sharing these tips Jenny x

1. I can’t listen to anything whilst I’m writing but if I’m creating pins or replying to comments, I definitely need to start listening to podcasts!

11. Oh I LOVE this post Jenny! I’ve actually started to do my Digital Marketing Diploma and I’m taking a day off a week to do it – i.e. nothing BUT screen time. There’s something so satisfying about making progress and I find it so helpful doing it in a ‘guided’ way – same with yoga and meditation apps! I’m also working on a new project, too which I’m getting excited to launch :). I know what you mean about running a workshop, but I honestly think you’d be amazing at it!
    Kate x

1. Awh thanks Kate! Excited to hear about your new project too!!!

12. Alice Anne says:

I’m sticking with the yoga – it’s helped so much during lockdown and I’ve really enjoyed it xx

1. I’m glad to hear that!

13. I’ve always loved the idea of doing an online course and I really regret not doing it whilst I was working from home and I had a lot of time. Thanks for these tips – very useful!

🌿 Marissa Belle × marsybun.com 🌿

1. Thank you 🙂

14. nortoncharity says:

These are all such great ideas! I have definitely been doing a lot of online courses here lately too!

1. That’s great to hear!

15. Love these ideas, I’ve actually been doing a few of these already. Investing in myself by listening to podcasts and signing up to online courses to meditating. I’ve been trying to step out of my comfort zone more, doing an IG live is next on my list to conquer. Thanks for sharing dear!

Tx. // Tajinder Kaur

1. Oh wow! Good luck with an IG live!

16. Throughout lockdown I’ve done online courses which relate to the job I do, I’ve really enjoyed them. Due to working staggers hours it’s hard to commit to checking blog stuff because of work, but I’m trying to keep up with it 😁

1. You’re doing great!

17. This a good list! I’d love to host my own online workshop, just figuring out how to make it stand out so people want to come!

1. You’d be amazing!

18. Great suggestions! I really want to try a meditation app 🙂

1. They’re a great place to start if you’re new to meditation!

19. Some great ideas! I hadn’t thought about hosting my own workshop!

1. It’d be an amazing thing to do!

20. Such great tips, thank you for sharing! I’ve always wondered how I could make better use of my time, digitally and I will definitely be trying some of these out! 🌻💖

1. Hope you enjoy them!

1. I shall! And thank you again 💗💗

21. What a beneficial article to read, especially right now. I’ve been feeling in a bit of a slump when it comes to my life and my work. It’s nice to be reminded that there are activities that can help boost my mood and even spark inspiration! I just began a new e-course and it’s been fantastic. I need to get back to listening to podcasts.

1. Awh thank you. I hope these help!

22. I tried out an online course a while back, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, as well as how much I learned. I love being able to take something good away from spending time online. 🙂

1. You really do learn so much from them!

23. So fun! Yeah, I use my phone for yoga (I use an app) and I subscribed to my new favorite artist that has an app that sends you daily motivations. It’s great!

Podcasts too! Although, I haven’t listened to any recently. haha

1. Oooh daily motivations sound like my cup of tea!

24. So many good ideas here! Learning something new is so important. You never really know where it will lead…but you have to take that first step and try. It does pay to stretch our comfort zone a bit…great post!

1. I agree!

25. loveemblogger says:

These are really great tips. I am not brave enough to host a workshop, but I do love taking courses and learning about things! I also really enjoy podcasts as I work our or do some of my side jobs – they get me motivated and keep me productive. Thanks for sharing!

Love, Em x

1. Maybe one day you can host a workshop!