I love book series and those that I like I tend to get completely obsessed over and all consumed with. Series are a fantastic way to get to know the characters fully and deeply – because you end up spending so much time with them and dedicated to them. However, if a series doesn’t grip me completely, it’s likely I’ll give up halfway through. Today, I’m talking about 9 popular book series that I’ve either started but not finished or not read at all.
- Harry Potter: *tries to ignore the sound of everyone unfollowing me* yes, it’s true. I’ve not finished the Harry Potter series. I love the films, have seen them more times than I could count and I’ve read up to The Order of the Phoenix but I feel like I just read them because I felt like I had to, you know? Like it was expected of me, as an avid book lover Well shove your expectations because I’m not in a rush to read the rest of them and would you look at that… The Earth is still turning 😉
- Divergent: I actually really like the sound of these but I’ve never, ever even picked one up despite the fact I wanted to. Nor have I seen any of the films, despite the fact they look amazing and I adore the entire cast. Some power in the Universe is stopping me.
- Red Rising: I was super excited for this book when it came out and I started reading it as soon as I received my review copy but I just couldn’t for the life of me get into it and I was absolutely gutted. I haven’t tried again since so I guess the Red Rising series just isn’t for me.
- Game of Thrones: I honestly have absolutely zero desire to read these books. Similarly I have no desire to watch the show either. The length of the opening credits was enough to instantly put me off and the size and length of these books is the same. I don’t do well with long book or too many characters so that pretty much rules these out completely. But who knows… I may change my mind.
- Fifty Shades of Grey: I don’t know if I’d call this a ‘popular’ series but alas, it’s a series and I didn’t finish it. I read and loved the first book, not to my embarrassment. I was in no way ashamed of liking the book and being excited for the next one (I actually wrote a blog post about that here) but the second one just bored me senseless.
- The Maze Runner: I loved the sound of this book when it first came out and asked for it for Christmas. A billion Christmases later and it’s still sitting, gathering dust on my book shelf. I don’t know what it is, but I keep on putting it off and putting it off. I might make the effort to pick this one up next and finally get going with this series.
- The Lunar Chronicles: Another series that majorly caught my eye ages ago, I love love love the sound of these books but again… Call it what you will, a lack of motivation perhaps, I still haven’t bought these or even attempted to buy these books.
- The Lord of the Rings: These films are like, some of my absolute favourites I’ve seen them all more times that I couldn’t possibly say and I adore the storyline. We have gorgeous editions of these sitting at home (they are my mum and dad’s and they’ve had them forever) but again, I’ve never once tried to read them. Maybe it’s the language? And the fact it would probably take me about 16 years to finish them.
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Lastly, The Chronicles of Narnia I really have no excuse for. I’ve read the first one (The Magicians Nephew) and I have the box set sitting on my bookcase. Again, these were also my mum’s when she was little – they’re super old but I absolutely adore them and I would never take them off my shelf. But I’ve not got around to reading them all but this month, I will definitely read the second one.