ad // When I think back to school and sixth form college, I just think of what a mess it was. Our teachers had no other agenda than pushing us to get the grades to go to University, pressuring us to apply to University and studying the subject they were teaching. I’m not sure if things have changed much (I was at sixth form 10 years ago now). But I really hope it has.
There are so many different options available for school kids and college students. There are MANY more options than we’re told about for sure. Most people think they have two options; get a job after school or go to University. At least, that’s what I thought my options were.
Ultimately for me, I had a part time job at Primark whilst I was at sixth form college, which I stayed at for some time until I developed my anxiety disorder and couldn’t work for a while.
Some options for after college are given a bad reputation. But I think if we understood what each of them entailed and how it can help any given industry, then they would be looked at a lot differently. Internships is one of those things; particularly post-grad internships.
There are so many reasons why an internship might be the right option for you after college or University:
- It can help build your network of work relationships. This is particularly useful if you’re interning in an industry you want to work in. You will meet TONS of people during your internship and one of those might be exactly what you need to progress.
- If your CV isn’t particularly strong then an internship is a great stop-gap to get you some more experience and ultimately help you land a better job.
- You’re more likely to land a full-time job in the company if you’re interning for them first. A statistic shows that in 2012, 70% of companies with 100 or more employees hired interns for full-time positions.
- If you’re not sure what direction to take and want different experiences and opportunities. This is an important point because this was very much where I was when I finished college.
If you are struggling to know which direction to take with your life and your career, an internship can be a great option. And the thing is, is there are SO many internships available. You might even want to consider an internship abroad! Being at this prime time in your life, it’s the perfect time to consider going abroad for an internship.
This will help you expand your horizons, offer you insights into different industries AND allow you to experience new cities, countries and cultures. International Internship Seoul from Beyond Academy could be the perfect opportunity.
Why choose Beyond Academy for an international internship in Seoul?
- They have internships that run in 18 different industries, so you’re bound to find something that fits you!
- Friendship is a valued part of life in Seoul, so you’re bound to meet people easily!
- The internship will give you business insights into whatever industry you’re in
- As well as real-life skills that you can transfer to other areas of your life
- They organize everything, from your full program to accommodation (for an optional additional fee)
Why should I do an internship abroad?
Doing an internship abroad is a great way to expand your insights into the world and culture. The only way to truly to this, is to live abroad and be in and around the culture 24/7. It’ll introduce you to new food and drink, ways of life, history, art and more.
Living, working and interning abroad can help you increase your confidence in yourself and your knowledge of what you’re capable of and of the world around you. You’ll meet tons of new and interesting people and interning abroad can really set you apart from other candidates when it comes to getting a full-time job. And the skills you’ll learn will transfer beautifully to other areas of your life.
Even if you’re not just coming out of college or University, an internship might STILL be a great option for you. Especially if – like me – you’ve never been sure of what you really want to do and your school didn’t provide you with the support and options in order to allow you to choose properly. You’re never too old to do an internship, have a new experience and start a new career!
Have you ever done an internship? What was your experience like? Let me know in the comments!
Liked this post? You might also enjoy: