If you know me or follow my blog you might be aware that I’m a huge advocate for self-care. Self-care is a term I’ve only really come to know (and love) since starting blogging. Before joining the big ol’ blogosphere, I obviously knew we had to take care of ourselves, take time for ourselves and focus on our physical and mental wellbeing – but I didn’t realize quite how important and crucial it was. Especially the mental side of the coin.
My relationship with self-care comes in waves and it’s certainly not as healthy as I wish it was. For example, I tend to be able to focus more on self care when I’m in a good place mentally. Which isn’t necessarily the time when you need to focus on self-care. And when I’m in a dreadful place mentally? I sometimes just punish myself even more. Which I know I shouldn’t do. It’s something I’m working on and will continue to work on and it’s important to just notice where you’re not in alignment with your focuses and beliefs.
But, like I said, I focus on self-care to an extent every single day. I don’t believe there’s a single day that should go by when you don’t take care of yourself and put your needs first – even just for 10 minutes. The littlest of things can also make the biggest impact, especially if they’re done repetitively and incorporated into a routine. Here are X things that I do every single day which I find are beneficial to you and your self-care and wellbeing!
1. Writing down something I’m grateful for every single day: and a perfect excuse to buy a cute new notebook. I’ve been doing this every day for almost a year now and whilst some days it’s hard, it makes you reflect on the good, rather than the bad.
2. Drink enough water: if you don’t like plain water, try a infused bottle crammed with fruit! That way, you’ll stay hydrated and get nutrients and your water will taste sweet and fruity.
3. Stretch: nothing fancy, just super basic stretches of your arms, legs, fingers and neck. Noticing any tightness or pain that might need to be looked at later on in the day.
4. Yoga: I always try at do some yoga each day. Whether that’s 10 or 40 minutes. I like Tara Lee, who has some fab DVD’s and Yoga With Adriene on YouTube.
5. Take care of my skin: just making sure all your make-up is off and your skin is clean and taking that time to focus on you.
6. Eat breakfast: I never miss breakfast, again, I find this is ‘me’ time. I tend to pop a YouTuber I like on to watch whilst I’m eating.
7. Putting my phone down: this is something I’ve really been trying to incorporate more recently and that’s switching off from social media for a few hours every day. Twitter will be there when you get back.
8. Read: as an avid bookworm and book lover, I’ve always done this and I believe I’m better off for it. But I 100% read every single day. If you don’t like reading novels, find something you do like.
9. Tidy up: a clear space means a clear head. One of the first things I do every morning is tidy my room (because I work from home). But if you work in an office, tidying your desk could have the same effect.
10. Do something I enjoy: I usually opt for watching a documentary or binging on YouTube, playing my favorite video games (Until Dawn on the PS4 is my current game of choice!) or watching a film. Please, take time to do something you like even if it feels unproductive.
What do you take the time to do for yourself each day which improves your mental or physical well-being or incorporates self-care? Let’s chat!