If there’s one thing that never let me down this year, it was books. I’m not a fast reader and I don’t read as many books in a month / year as most other book bloggers I know but 2017 has been such a strong book year for me. Of course there’s been a couple that haven’t particularly taken my fancy – you can’t enjoy everything – but I’ve read some stellar books this year so narrowing it down to 10 favourites was really difficult. And… for the first time ever, I’m actually putting them in order. I’ve never done this because it just seems too stressful haha! Ready? Let’s see who made the top 10 steps of 2017! (Not all of these were published in 2017)
1. Last Seen Alive by Claire Douglas: I have fallen in love with Claire Douglas’s books this year – as you can see, there’s 2 of them in the top 5 alone! (You can read my full review here)
2. The Honeymoon by Tina Seskis: This was an absolutely corker of a Thriller. It takes a lot to shock me in books but this left my mouth gawping. (You can read my full review here)
3. The Chalk Man by C.J Tudor: Although not released until next year, I was lucky to have received a copy of this because I just knew I would love it. Very Stranger Things-esque, The Chalk Man is a completely original and gripping novel. (You can read my full review here)
4. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green: It took everything for me not to stick this at number 1 because I adore John Green and everything he writes but I had to think critically and carefully about the order. Turtles was long-awaited and didn’t disappoint. (You can read my full review here)
5. The Sisters by Claire Douglas: Here she is again! Although I ever so slightly preferred her newer release Last Seen Alive, The Sisters still wowed me to my core. Very rarely would I have two books by the same author in one top 5! (You can read my full review here)
6. The Doll House by Phoebe Morgan: The Doll House was utterly brilliant and a real stellar Thriller of 2017. Super weird and eerie, it makes you really uncomfortable and I loved it! (You can read my full review here)
7. You Don’t Know Me by Imran Mahmood: Probably the most original, authentic and unique book I’ve read for a long old time, You Don’t Know Me puts you in the position of a jury member on a case and leaves you to make up your own decision at the end. (You can read my full review here)
8. The Friend by Dorothy Koomson: I love Dorothy Koomson anyway and I was so impressed with her newest novel, The Friend. It really got it’s claws in me this one, would highly recommend! (You can read my full review here)
9. Rattle by Fiona Cummins: Rattle made me feel physically sick and uncomfortable to the point where I had to stop reading. And that’s my kinda book. If you’re after a gory, crime Thriller, this is the one for you. (You can read my full review here)
10. Damon Hill – Watching the Wheels: I wouldn’t normally have a non-fiction book on a list like this, especially an autobiography but Damon Hill’s autobiography was utterly fantastic. Brilliantly written, emotional and informative. Would recommend for any F1 fan. (You can read my full review here)
[…] that I’ve admired for years. Special thank you to The Writing Garnet, The Book Review Cafe, Jenny in Neverland, Debbie’s Book Reviews, and Bookie Wookie. I am taking suggestions for my blog posts, so if […]
[…] Books: 2017 has been stellar for books. I’ve rarely read anything I’ve not liked this year. I have a whole separate post about my favourite books of 2017 here! […]
Hi, some great choices as an F1 fan I want to read Damon Hill, I may have to treat myself in the new year.
I would HIGHLY recommend! It’s absolutely phenomenal!
This reminded me that I should definitely read more. Haven’t had much time tbf, thanks to the baby haha. Anyhow, found a few from this list I’ll be adding to my growing reading list 🙂
lots of love, Jasmin
Awh well that’s a valid excuse haha! Hope you enjoy some of these (: xx
I read a book called ‘to all the boys ive loved before’ by Jenny han and it was so good!
I’ve heard of that! Will pop it on my to read list! xx
Love this post! I really want to read more in 2018 and deffo will look at these 🙂
Hope you enjoy!
I love Damon Hill! You always know all of the best books so I will take your advice and try to get a copy of this autobiograpghy!…Great post doll!
xx Lena | https://lenadeexo.com
OMG yay! His book was absolutely amazing – if you’re a fan you’ll absolutely love it xxx
Haha, I wasn’t surprised to see a F1 book in there 😘 but I really like the look of The Chalk Man, The Sisters (especially as I live so close to Bath!), and The Doll House – they’re all on my 2018 wish list and future TBR pile now, thank you so much for the recommendations! xxx
Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com
Oh I so hope you enjoy them! 😘
I appreciate the addition of the one non-fiction there at the end. I’m really intrigued by The Doll House x
It was too good not to include. The Doll House was brilliant xxx
I’ve only heard good reviews about Turtles All the Way Down and I’ve been meaning to get it for a while now. John Green has to be one of my favourite authors, I just don’t currently have enough time to read 🙁 I’m glad you enjoyed all of these books!
I guarantee Turtles won’t take you a few days to read! It’s so effortless I couldn’t stop! He’s just fantastic isn’t he xxx
I’ve literally haven’t read ANY of these books, so perhaps this is a good beginning for my TBR list of 2018. The Chalk Man and Turtles All the Way Down certainly have my attention already… 😉
I’m glad! Hope you enjoy them and manage to read a few in the New Year! xx
Thanks for this! I really needed some new book recommendations as it’s a goal of mine to read more next year. Have really been interested in Turtles All the Way Down so now I will definitely check it out!
It’s brilliant! Perfect book to start the New Year with xxx
I will definitely be adding some of these to my list, looking out for a new reading challenge.
Hope you enjoy (: xx
Thank you for the recommendations 🙂
I haven’t read any of these books, but I really want to read Turtles All The Way Down.
That seems like a popular one! xxx
Great post Jenny! I really like the sound of some of these titles.
A Sparkle Of Grace
Thank you for sharing this because now I have lots more book to add to my TBR. I am currently reading Turtles All The Way Down.
Awh really! Hope you’re enjoying it! (: xxx
Amazing post! I’ve added a few of these to my TBR. My own current recs are here: https://louisehudson.net/2017/11/25/4-books-to-read-on-a-chilly-night/
Thank you – hope you enjoy! Will check out your recommendations xxx
There’s a couple on here that I’ve been meaning to read, especially Last Seen Alive, so if you’re endorsing them they’re going on my amazon wishlist! ☺️ Here’s to another year of reading and getting lost in other worlds. ❤️
Awh yay! Last Seen Alive was absolutely brilliant I hope you enjoy it! xxx
Ooh this has given me lots of ideas for what to get reading in 2018. Thank you!
You’re very welcome! Happy reading 😘
Loved this 😊 definitely adding these to my list of books to read! X
Hope you enjoy (: xxx
So many amazing books! The Doll House has caught my eye, I think next year I will have to give that a read for sure!
Fix Me In Forty Five – A Mental Health Blog
Hope you enjoy! 😘 xxx
Ahh, so many great books here! I loved The Honeymoon, definitely one of my favourite books this year. I also loved You Don’t Know Me, such an original concept.
Both amazing weren’t they? That twist in The Honeymoon shocked me! xxx
What a great post, I will definitely read the top five.
Thank you (: hope you enjoy! xxx
I’m reading Turtles All The Way Down after reading your review and I’m loving it so far! 💕 I’m going to check out these books in the New Year! This looks like a fabulous list! Thank you so much for sharing Jenny 😘 xx
Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com
Omg yay I’m so glad you’re enjoying it! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts at the end 😘 xxx
Love this post! Definitely adding some of those titles to my TBR x
Brilliant! Hope you enjoy them 😘 xx