We made it through January, horrah. But it’s still cold, it’s still dark and it can still look and feel pretty miserable outside. Now, although I’m someone who absolutely loves winter and loves the cold, I’ve not been completely un-prone to the effects of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) in the past and even I tend to look a bit harder for those little comforts in the colder, darker months when they’re really needed. Today I’ve put together a little list of things that I do in winter to make it a bit more bearable and which will also, hopefully, give you that positive kick into the Spring months.
1. Keep warm: I mean this might sound obvious but it’s actually kinda crucial sometimes as getting too cold can have pretty naff health implications. I love the cold – but I know when enough is enough and it’s time to head inside or throw on another layer. As long as your head and your feet are warm then your core body temperature will be warm – so why no invest in a super cute pair of fluffy, thermal socks to keep your tootsies warm and toasty? I absolutely love these ones from Heat Holders which are so warm and so fluffy and feel gorgeous on your feet!
2. Enjoy your food: New Years diet or no New Years diet, being in the depths of Winter when you’ll be inside more, I think most people are inclined to eat or want to eat more as a result. And just because you indulged over Christmas doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy yummy, hearty food now it’s over. A nice big bowl of hot stew or spending the evening cooking a whole new recipe always lifts my spirits in the winter months.
3. Embrace your indoor hobbies: Whilst it’s too cold to go outside, it’s the perfect time to embrace and really enjoy all your favourite things to do indoors. Your indoor hobbies are just as valuable as your outdoor adventures and excursions! Spend this dark and gloomy time catching up on all the books you want to read, the films you want to watch and the blog posts you want to write. It’ll keep you upbeat and motivated right into Spring!
4. Start planning a project: What a better time to start planning for something amazing? The new year always brings with it a fresh surge of motivation for me, as a blogger. And if you’re a blogger too, you might relate to that feeling. And it seems like Spring is always the time when I embark on and start new projects – after spending the winter planning, planning, planning. I started my blog in Spring. I also started my online business in Spring. I also once did a week long readathon for Cancer Research UK in Spring. And that’s after I spent the doom and gloom of January and February planning like a mad woman. This is the perfect time to start researching, brain-storming and planning that project you’ve always had your heart set on!
5. Make plans for the rest of the year: I don’t mean like, every day for the rest of the year but now is the time to start planning your adventures – even just thinking about and noting some things down that you really, really want to do this year! So get your thinking cap on and get booking some fun things to do with your family and friends. It’s always great coming out of winter knowing you’ve got things to look forward to.
I always find having a really motivated and productive winter sets me up for a much better Spring. And of course, we all need those little comforts like cute fluffy socks, warm cups of tea and a yummy meal to help us along the way!
How do you beat the winter blues? Do you have anything else to add? Let me know!
This is a sponsored post but as always, all thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.