Blog comments are like, a huge thing if you’re a blogger. Some bloggers feel like a failure if they don’t receive comments on their posts (you’re not), some rely on the comments in order to feel like a success, some literally don’t care at all and there’s a whole multitude of attitudes towards the old blog comment. I also always see people wonder why they’re not getting comments and contemplating what they’re doing wrong. Since I started my blog, I’ve been pretty lucky in that I’ve always received comments. That’s not me being big headed, it’s a fact. But I don’t wanna do a typical “how to get more comments” type post because it’s probably been done to death. I wanted to talk about what makes me comment on a blog post and similarly, what makes me not. What I look for in a post which makes me comment. Which hopefully, you can apply to your own posts!
1. A question at the end of the post: I’ve always done this and I find if the blogger is asking a direct question and wants to know what their readers think, I’m more likely to leave a comment.
2. A personable style of writing: If I’m reading a post which is very fact based and sounds like a school text-book, I probably won’t comment. But if the writing style is fun and quirky and reflects the blogger, I’m much more likely to want to speak to them!
3. Photos: This is just one thing that makes me wanna comment on a post; especially if it’s say a trace style post where photos are vital. If a blogger has amazing photos, I’m again more likely to comment on them! But photos aren’t everything!
4. Not begging for comments: If a blogger is begging for comments, I won’t comment. I take part in comment threads regularly and this has helped me find so many amazing blogs I wouldn’t have found before but I’ve never seen anyone beg for comments during these threads.
5. Incoherent posts: I think this is pretty obvious but if I can’t understand a post; if the format is so bad I can’t read it combined with awful spelling and grammar which is all over the show, I probably won’t comment. I’m not a grammar wizard myself – far from it. But I like to think my posts are easy to read!
6. Really long posts: There is always an exception to this one but 9 times out of 10, if a blog post is too long I’ll probably give up before the end, therefore won’t comment.
7. Personal topics: I love personal posts where a blogger lays everything bare and talks about a really important subject. This is always more likely to get a comment from me as I think it’s important people share their opinions on personal and difficult topics – to make it less taboo and more normalised.