I know we’re all sad because Autumn is almost over and we’ll soon be heading into the depths of Winter. Gone are the spooky decorations, the horror movie marathons and the influx of pumpkin field Instagram photos. But if I’m being honest, I absolutely love Winter. I love the cold. I love Christmas. I love snow and frost that sparkles on the pavement in the morning. I think it’s magical. So today I want to offer some Winter self care ideas to help you try and enjoy Winter as much as I do!
Each season is special in it’s own way. They all come with their own set of challenges. Their own positives and negatives. And although self care is an annual thing, there’s definitely ways you can mix it up, depending on the season you’re in. This can relate to literal seasons, like Summer and Winter as well as the seasons of your life.
But Winter can certainly be a tough time for a lot of people. For a variety of reasons. From SAD and the lack of sunlight to emotions around Christmas and having to take extra care of your well-being around the holiday season. As much magic is in Winter, Christmas and the falling snow, there’s also a lot of emotion and sadness and you have to recognize that too.
So let’s all vow to really take care of ourselves this Winter. Especially after the year we’ve had so far that’s undoubtedly made an impact on our mental health.
Here are 40 Christmas and Winter self care ideas for you to adopt in the coming months – and some that you might not have thought of before!
1. Buy a hot water bottle
2. Change your bedding into something fresh
3. Check your boiler is working properly (and get it fixed if not!)
4. Watch a Christmas film
5. Bake something with Christmassy flavours
6. Go to the library and rent Christmas books
7. Start your Christmas shopping early
8. Make a Winter budget spreadsheet
9. Clear out your wardrobe of Summer clothes
10. Learn how to make soup
11. Decorate with fairy lights
12. Spend an hour in a hot bubble bath with candles – MyPriceGuide have a great feature on the best candles to buy!
13. Accept help if you’re suffering from SAD
14. Create a Winter and Christmas bucket list
15. Buy yourself some new comfy pajamas (but try and avoid fast fashion retailers!)
16. Clear out your Facebook friends before the end of the year
17. Journal how you feel about this year
18. Write yourself a Christmas card
19. Meet up with a friend for a Christmas drink
20. Consider laser hair removal! If you start their laser removal journey in winter, you can be hair free for summer so it’s the ideal time to do it. Also, you cannot really be tanned when having laser hair removal, so winter works once again.
21. Take a brisk walk in the cold
22. De-clutter your home
23. Have a pamper night
24. Wake up earlier to counteract the effects of the early nights
25. Buy lots of seasonal fruits and veggies
26. Do some Christmas crafts
27. Attend a Christmas market
28. Make yourself the perfect hot chocolate
29. Put your pajamas on straight from the dryer
30. Do Yoga in your pajamas
31. Buy yourself a Christmas present
32. Write down your goals for the New Year
33. Write a Christmas story or poem – just get creative with your words
34. Make your own bath bombs
35. Have a day of Hygge
36. Visit a garden center
37. Do a moisturizing face mask to combat dry Winter skin
38. Go for a de-stress massage
39. Paint your nails in Christmassy colours
40. Write down 30 things you’re grateful for this year