The notion of self-care is one that’s been somewhat pushed on us more and more, especially over what seems to be the last year or so. Before I started blogging, I can’t say I had ever heard the phrase “self-care” before in my life. That being said, I thing self-care is extremely important and if anything, the fact that it’s been talked about here, there and everywhere right now is a welcome reminder to all of us to take damn care of ourselves every once in a while.
I’ve always struggled with self-care. I find it extremely difficult o focus on me. To do things that I want to do, just because it’ll make me happy. To block out everyone and everything and just be. But it’s something I’m working on and hopefully getting better at because everyone needs and deserves those moments of quiet and solitude to just be with themselves.
Today I wanted to concoct a list of “self-care-y” activities you can do and practice and all of these I either have done or would do myself. I will admit, that some lists I’ve seen depicting some self-care rituals seem completely alien to me: like colouring. The concept is good but it just isn’t for me. So I wanted to keep this list to things that I would actually recommend myself.
- De-clutter: choose 1 area – wardrobe, desk, handbag – and throw away anything you don’t need
- Buy something just for YOU: treat yo self! Books, make-up, a Dominos pizza meal for 4…
- Experiment in the kitchen: throw some ingredients in a pan and see what happens
- Watch a documentary: about something important. Learn something.
- Re-read an old favourite: a book you know will whisk you right out of reality
- Have a massage: like, by a professional. Not just your cat walking on you
- Cuddle an animal: if you don’t have one, politely ask the next dog-walker you see
- Light a candle: there’s something surprisingly calming about flames
- Have a cuppa and some chocolate: and make it the best goddamn tea you’ve ever had in your life
- Write lists: to-do lists, thankful for lists, people I’d like to create on The Sims and drown lists…
- Call The Samaritans: talking to a complete stranger about your problems is so therapeutic
- Play a game: my personal favourite being The Sims… obviously
- Pamper yourself: for no other reason than you deserve to
- Indulge and don’t feel guilty: eat all the chocolate and all the pizza
- Go for a walk: get out and get some fresh air. Pet a few dogs on your travels too.
- Do some yoga: go at your own pace and learn to feel grounded
- Have a nap: even if it’s 2 in the afternoon. Feeling weary? Get your PJs back on and have a snooze
- Watch your favourite TV show / film: Even if it’s for the 100th time, and super duper cringe
- Plant something / do some gardening: it’s amazing what nature can do for you
- Lastly, go easy on yourself: this is the best thing we can ever do for ourselves