2017 has been a fantastic year for books for me so far. I’ve not picked up a book which I’ve not finished nor have I awarded less than 3 stars to anything I’ve read! With so many others on my to-read list which sound absolutely amazing, 2017 is shaping up to be a pretty spectacular bookish year. So let’s go through the first quarter and take a look at what I’ve read, my favourites and what I’m hoping to read in the coming months!
I recently picked up Alice and the Fly by James Rice off my bookcase and although I’m only a couple of chapters in at the moment and cant really judge anything, I think this is going to be my kinda book. I love Young Adult and it seems that this has a lot of mental health elements running through it so that will be great to read as I am all for more mental health in books. Let’s see how it’s tackled in this one and I’ll report back!
I have a very clear cut top 3 of this year so far, it was exceptionally easy to choose because these 3 stood out to me so much. I’m really into Crime / Thriller and sub-genres of those at the moment, it’s the type of books I’ve been automatically drawn to so there’s no surprise that these 3 fall under that category somewhere.
1. You Don’t Know Me by Imran Mahmood: The best book I’ve read this year so far and I think it’s going to take a lot to knock it off the top stop. This is out in May and it’s going to be big… So look out for it!
2. The Sisters by Claire Douglas: I flippin loved this book and it was so close between You Don’t Know Me and this but although it didn’t quite make it, I couldn’t rave about this one enough. I was hooked!
3. Rattle by Fiona Cummins: Rattle made me feel all sort of horrible feels and that’s what I loved about it, the exceptionally strong reaction I got. This is crime thriller on its absolute limits!
These are the other 4 books I’ve read this year and whilst they didn’t make my top 3, I still enjoyed all of them and have kept them in some sort of favourite order.
1. Watching the Wheels by Damon Hill: If you follow me on Twitter, you will know I love my Formula 1. I’ve read a couple of Formula 1 books before but Damon’s was hands down the best. It was such a real, raw and emotional book and what I loved the most was that he wrote it himself. It oozes Damon-isms and it’s just truly wonderful.
2. My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon: My first Jane Fallon book I’ve read and it certainly won’t be my last. This is really the only Women’s Fiction / not Thriller book I ‘ve read this year (aside from Damon’s) but it definitely didn’t disappoint. Very, very funny!
3. Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan: Dear Amy as super highly anticipated and the premise sounded great and I did enjoy it but not as much as I thought I would which is a shame but I’d definitely still recommend it.
4. Of Life Death, Aliens and Zombies by Dario Cannizzaro: If you want something that will push you out of your comfort zone a bit then I would definitely recommend this. I read this one for a blog tour I ran for Dario and I just had to read it myself as I was so intrigued.
Obviously having had such a fabulous start to the year book wise, I would love for it to continue. I have a couple of books in mind which are on my immediate to-read list, which I’m hoping to get through over the coming month or two. Obviously there are literally hundreds more books on my to-read list but my motto thus year? Quality, not quantity! I’ve given up caring about how many books I’m reading and comparing myself to others who have read loads more. Instead this year, I’m just concentrating on the books I’m reading, taking as much out of them as possible and writing detailed reviews on all of them, rather than fretting that I’ve only read 4 compared to someone else who’s read 20. So here’s the next 4 on my to-read radar…