Just to clarify before we get into it, the girl in the photo is me not just some random kid. And look how goddamn cute I was! I came home from a trip away to my boyfriend’s parents house “up norf” and saw this photo sitting in my parents bedroom. First of all, the frame is actually mine so I’m not so happy that my mum stole it but I thought it was cute nevertheless. I was looking at the photo whilst listening to Lea Michele’s version of “Wake Me Up” by Avicii (it’s a beautiful cover, you have to listen!) and all of a sudden I started crying. I know it sounds like I’m making this up but I’m not, genuinely, started to cry. For reals.
I really love doing fun and personal posts every now and again and I recently stumbled upon Gabriella’s video about ’10 things she would save in a fire‘. This video was intended to be done as a video ‘tag’ but as you’re well aware that I definitely, 100% do not do YouTube I decided to make it into a blog post instead! But credit to Gabby for creating the tag in the first place and you can find her video here. I really enjoyed doing this and thinking of the items I would save; it really makes you realise what is sentimental to you and what isn’t and I was surprised by some of my choices. So let’s assume every human in my house is clever enough to get out themselves, with everything left, here’s the 10 things I would save If my house was on fire *but touch wood it won’t be*.
Warning: Very personal post coming up so if y’all not into that sorta thing then clear off. The other day (haha I say the other day but it was literally a month ago now) I had a bit of a rant / vent on Twitter. I mentioned that although I love lifestyle blogging and writing about a whole bunch of different topics, I feel sad sometimes that I’m not known solely as a “book blogger” anymore. For those who might be newer readers and followers of mine, my blog started as a book blog and only after a year or so did I venture into other topics. I was constantly reading, reviewing and in contact with authors and publsihers. It was wonderful. And although I still am to some extent (aside from my blog touring business which literally revolves around books), I can’t help but feel a bit distant from the book blogging community now.
Not everyone wants to jump out of a plane, dive to the deepest depths of the ocean or travel to the other side of the world with only a backpack for company. And whilst I admire those that do do all those things, I also have respect for those who don’t. There’s always this notion that in order to really ‘live’ you need to see the world, try something new every day or do things that scare you to push you out of your comfort zone. I know a lot of people thrive on these things and if that’s you, then go for it! But I also know people who prefer quieter lives, filled with stability and certainty and I don’t believe these people are any less ‘living’ than those who wake up in a new place every couple of months.
I’ve seen a few YouTuber’s do this lately (yeah, I know, I’m like totes in YouTuber’s now) and thought it would be a laugh to do myself (but blog format obviously, videos scare me). I used to be an avid Insta user. Like, one of those super annoying ones that would do hundreds of “shout out for shout outs” and be obsessed with followers. You know the kinda dickhead I mean and I love going over my old Instagram photos and crying into a slice of pizza at how much of an idiot I was. So I thought I’d share that with you, so gather up all your pity while I react to my old Instagram photos.
Another leg shot
I wouldn’t question you for being deeply confused by the title of this post. I can’t say it gives an awful lot away and you’re probably wondering what sort of weirdo loves turkey dinosaurs that much. But this is a topic I’ve never spoken about on my blog before – one I’d never really planned to speak about either but last night, as I was tucking into my turkey dinosaurs, it hit me that maybe this could be helpful to talk about. Mental health and turkey dinosaurs, how do they fit together? Let me tell you. And in case you don’t know, turkey dinosaurs are frozen oven food in the shape of dinosaurs.
Shit is about to get real deep and personal. It took me over 4 minutes to get a pancake out of the toaster earlier today which led me to this post. Well, that and an article I stumbled upon about people’s dying regrets. I wanna talk about regret and how I feel, particularly with my age group, that the notion that we must not regret anything has been hammered into our brains since before I can remember. Or maybe it’s just me? I don’t know. How we ‘must not regret anything because at the time, it was exactly what we wanted’. I’ll give you a tenner if you haven’t heard that quote or seen it on some pretentious Tumblr picture. Well I call bullshit.
Last month, Jenny in Neverland was shortlisted for Blog of the Year at the Love Stories awards. My best friend popped up on Facebook chat one morning and asked if I’d seen and I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. An hour later, I was still convinced that there was some sort of mistake. And that’s not me being modest, heck if I wasn’t surprised, I wouldn’t have acted it but out of all the incredible book bloggers out there, why on Earth was I shortlisted?
I’ve been stuck for blog post ideas. Like, really stuck. But I figure, you can’t go wrong with a trusty “tag” post, can you? I pinched this one of Danielle from Underland to Wonderland (who’s blog is fantastic, by the way!) and it’s called the “Four Things Tag” where, unsurprisingly, you name four things under each category. So lo and behold, here are my answers!
Four Jobs I’ve Had
1) Sales assistant at Primark. Loosely translated to: Chatting to friends all day and having sock fights.
2) Optical assistant at Vision Express. Loosely translated to: Cringing as you take photos of people’s retinas.
3) Voluntary teaching assistant. Loosely translated to: I don’t like kids. Why am I even here?
4) Admin assistant at my mum’s work. Basically getting my travel for free and eating all day.
Four Things I Don’t Eat
I pinched this idea from Clare at ABookandTea but I’ve noticed quite a few bloggers have done it. It’s a great idea because it occurred to me the other week how little we really know about our online friends! Writing facts about myself proved very difficult but I got there in the end so enjoy!
1. I’m really scared of toads because when I was younger I was walking down an alley in a thunderstorm and I couldn’t see properly so I stood on what I thought was a massive rock but it turned out to be a toad and it jumped at me. I ran out of a pet shop crying once because there was one in a tank next to me. I wasn’t as young as you might think…
2. I’m a huge Disney fan! I’ve been to Disneyland Paris 3 times and as well and truly gay as this may sound, I’ve never been happier than when I’m at Disneyland. I first went when I was 5 so it reminds me of my childhood. I also have a tattoo on my hip that says ‘Second star to the right and straight on till morning’ from Peter Pan as it’s my favourite Disney movie.
3. I’ve suffered from GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) for about a year and a half and it makes it difficult for me to do everyday things that most of you don’t think twice about. I used to be very private about it but since blogging, I’ve met and spoke to so many people who suffer from similar things – it’s amazing, so instead of being ashamed of it, I’ve learnt to open up and be honest about it. But no fear, I’m still alive and I’m getting help and I’m determined to kick anxieties arse.
4. I’m a bit of a neat freak, I love tidying up and one thing that really irritates me is a messy fridge. So if anyone would like to hire me to organize their fridge in return for chocolate and bacon sandwiches, let me know!
5. Speaking of chocolate and bacon sandwiches, I love my food. My favourite being Dominos Pizza, Hawaiian with extra peppers, potato wedges, chicken wings and lots of dips. If anyone’s offering…
6. I’m a bit of a TV series fanatic. I’d rather watch a TV show than a movie because I love how much you learn about the characters and I don’t know about you, but I get so attached to shows and certain characters, it makes me so sad when they finish! Some of my favourites include LOST, Desperate Housewives, Prison Break, F.r.i.e.n.d.s, Glee, One Tree Hill, The Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead, Sex and the City and Breaking Bad, which I’m watching at the moment. As you can see, there’s a bit of a mix, I don’t tend to stick to one genre!
7. I’m 21 years old and I still sleep with the teddy bear I was given when I was born. His name is Brown Teddy. As you can see I was a very imaginative child. Judge me, bitch.
8. I used to be like a massive grunger… From the ages of 13 till about 16 me and my friends used to hang around in a car park with about 70 other grungers. That sounds ridiculous but despite getting beaten up by chavs every other week, they were the best days of my life. I have no idea where most of them are now or what they’re doing but I hope they’re happy and thank you for making my teenage years the best ever. (Yes, I was a member of Vampire Freaks briefly at one point…)
9. It took me about 100 years to finally get Twitter. Then another 100 years to learn how to use it. I don’t really like technology, it always breaks and sometimes I think I’d have better luck with carrier pigeons.
10. My favourite time of year is November and firework night. For me, it marks the beginning of winter and dressing up warm and my boyfriend always has a firework party at his house every year which is a lot of fun!
11. I love animals (except toads, obviously) and animal abuse is that one thing that really grinds my gears. I will never understand how some heartless people can abuse, abandon and neglect innocent animals that don’t do anything wrong nor understand what is going on. Dogs in particular and being a dog owner myself it really hits home because I would never in a million years do anything to hurt my dog. They’re so loyal and loving and remember guys, they’re not something you can just dispose of when you get bored!
12. Although I don’t really listen to them anymore, my favourite band has always been Green Day. I saw live with a friend when I was 13 and it was the first big concert I ever went too. Green Day kind of opened up the world of rock music to me and although nowadays I listen to the same shit as everyone else like Nicki Minaj and Example, they will always have a special place on my iPod.
13. My favourite dwarf has to be Sneezy for the pure fact that he is exactly like me! I suffer from horrendous hay fever, for the majority of the year unfortunately so I am always sneezing. I sometimes have hour long sneezing fits and feel so drained afterwards I have to lay down!
14. As you can probably tell, I love anything pink, girly, floral, glittery or with cupcakes on but believe it or not I’m not actually a girlie person. I don’t know much about make-up or beauty products and I’m not a huge fan of chick flicks. I’d much rather be playing Call of Duty and killing some zombies!
15. I supposed I’d better add something book related in here so my favourite genres are Crime, Thriller and Fiction but since blogging I’ve come to love Young Adult and Chick-lit books too! A few of my favourite books include The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and The Beach by Alex Garland. My favourite authors include Cecelia Ahern, Dorothy Koomson, Diane Chamberlain and my all time favourite, James Patterson. His Women’s Murder Club Series are my favourite.
16. I have a really bad habit of picking my nails. Not biting, just picking. I’ve done it ever since I can remember and I can pick them so short now it doesn’t even hurt because my nails are used to it. It’s disgusting and it annoys everyone but it’s like an addiction – I can’t stop!
17. My ultimate celebrity crush at the moment has to be Aaron Paul (who plays Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad). However, Tom Hardyand Bradley Cooper also quite tickle my fancy. I’m definitely not a lesbian but I also have a bit of a girl crush on Emma Watson, Kaley Cuoco and Isla Fisher.
18. I’ve never really had a dream job and I never wanted to go to university to study anything in particular. My first job was in Primark which I hated but was good for messing around with my friends. I’m not very good with the public and I started a teaching assistant course but then realised I hated kids. I’m hoping to start doing some charity work soon at a local animal sanctuary that looks after ill and neglected animals and I’d love to hopefully one day turn my blog and passion for books into a paying career as a reviewer.
19. I love making lists. I will make a list at every chance I get whether it be a birthday wish list, Christmas presents for friends, what to buy or a general everyday ‘To-do’ list. I’m really organized so it helps if everything’s written down in front of me.
20. I love going to the beach and looking out at the sea. It doesn’t have to be an exotic beach, just one where I can stare at the ocean for a while – I feel it gives me a sense of calm and the enormity of it makes my problems seem smaller.